Category: Traffic & Brand Building
Product/Service: IT SOLUTIONS
Agency: OGILVY NEW YORK
Date of First Appearance: Sep 14 2009 12:00AM
Entrant Company: OGILVY NEW YORK, USA
Vice President GTS Marketing: Terea Golden (IBM)
GTS Marketing Manager: Julia McManus (IBM)
WW Senior Demand Programs Professional: David Bayuk (IBM)
Chief Experience Officer, Advertising Leads: Lynn Porterfield (IBM)
Senior Partner, Creative Director: Victoria Azarian (Ogilvy NY)
Senior Partner, Creative Director: Chris Lindau (Ogilvy NY)
Vice President and Director: Curt Schreiber (VSA)
Senior Art Director: Robyn Stern (Ogilvy NY)
Art Director: Ricardo Beltran (Ogilvy NY)
Copywriter: Sean Lee (Ogilvy NY)
Copywriter: Kim Devall (Ogilvy NY)
Account Supervisor: Becca Valle (Ogilvy NY)
Media placement: Print - 2 Ads - CIO Magazine, CIO Insight, Fortune - 14 September 2009
Media placement: Banners - 3 Ads (2 Expand) - CIO.com, Internet.com, CIOInsight, CIOZone, Search CIO, CIOToday, Yahoo, Fortune - 14 September 2009
Media placement: Contextual Advertising - Vibrant Media Network Of Sites Targeting CIO Audience - 24 September
Media placement: Widget - CIOZone - 5 October 2009
Describe the brief/objective of the direct campaign.
Who is today’s CIO (Chief Information Officer)?
To answer that question (and many more), IBM sat down face-to-face with 2,598 CIOs worldwide. The result: The “IBM Global CIO Study 2009”.
Our goal was to sell the Study: get it into the hands of as many CIOs as possible.
To do this, we developed an integrated marketing campaign targeted at CIOs and aimed at:
• Drive registration for the Study
• Build / deepen relationships by establishing IBM as a thought leader and the one company who truly understands the value of the CIO to business and technology
• Create new sales opportunities by differentiating IBM from competitors
Explain why the creative execution was relevant to the product or service.
Both the scale and unique methodology of the IBM CIO Study (face-to-face conversations) sets IBM apart from its competitors. Therefore, the creative approach was aimed at demonstrating IBM’s unmatched access to experts and expertise.
Iconic, silhouetted graphics populated with direct verbatims from participating CIOs helped to showcase insights from the study in a personalized manner that brought these unique conversations to life. Silhouettes were transparently layered to help communicate the multitude of CIOs who participated in the Study.
The culmination was a highly targeted 360 campaign with advertising and demand generation activity spanning 11 countries.
Describe the creative solution to the brief/objective with reference to the projected response rates and desired outcome.
A highly targeted integrated marketing campaign was developed to meet IBM’s main objective of driving registration for the Study. Marketing tactics were designed to tap into CIOs’ behaviour and preferences by delivering content via channels CIOs frequent most and in formats CIOs prefer to consume.
• Targeted online placements and rich media units on premier CIO sites.
• CIO video documentaries featured across multiple channels including web and events.
• High-impact print units in select pubs with strong CIO subscription base.
• Direct mail to select IBM customers.
• Channel enablement Q&A for sales team based on CIO documentaries.
Describe the results in as much detail as possible with particular reference to the RESPONSE of the target audience including deliverability statistics, response rates, click throughs, sales cost per response, relationships built and overall return on investment.
The campaign was highly effective in reaching our main objectives. Marketing efforts resulted in:
• 9,806 registrations from 87 countries (far exceeding the total number of registrations for the entire 2006 and 2008 CIO Implications of the CEO Study efforts combined)
• High-pick up rates and positive feedback from both IBM and local Agency teams; Creative leveraged by 11 countries
• Over 100 media articles referencing The CIO Study published across a variety of top publications worldwide including Forbes, Reuters, and CIO Magazine
• Win Revenue currently totals $76 million
The Direct marketing titled THE NEW VOICE OF THE CIO was done by Ogilvy New York advertising agency for product: It- Solutions (brand: IBM) in United States. It was released in the Sep 2009.