Dove Ambient, Case study REAL BEAUTY SKETCHES by Ogilvy Sao Paulo

Adsarchive » Ambient , Case study » Dove » REAL BEAUTY SKETCHES

REAL BEAUTY SKETCHES

Pin to Collection
Add a note
Industry Skin Care
Media Ambient, Case study
Market Brazil
Agency Ogilvy Sao Paulo
Director John X Carey
Executive Creative Director Roberto Fernandez, Paco Conde, Roberto Fernandez David
Art Director Diego Machado
Copywriter Hugo Veiga
Producer Phillip Owens, Veronica Beach, Keith Kenniff, Renata Neumann David, Libbt Fine
Released February 2013

Awards

Cannes Lions 2013
Media Lions Use of Media; Best Use of Social Media Gold
Media Lions Product & Service; Corporate Image & Information Bronze

Credits & Description

Type of entry: Use of Media
Category: Best Use of Social Media
Advertiser: UNILEVER
Product/Service: DOVE MASTERBRAND
Agency: OGILVY BRASIL São Paulo, BRAZIL
VP Creative Director: Anselmo Ramos (Ogilvy Brasil)
Executive Creative Director: Roberto Fernandez/Paco Conde (Ogilvy Brasil)
Copywriter: Hugo Veiga (Ogilvy Brasil)
Art Director: Diego Machado (Ogilvy Brasil)
Illustrador: Gil Zamora (Zamora Design)
Producer: Veronica Beach/Renata Neumann/Libbt Fine (Ogilvy Brasil)
Account Director: Ricardo Honegger/Thiago Lima (Ogilvy Brasil)
Head Of Client Service: Valeria Barone (Ogilvy Brasil)
Account Sepervisor: Deborah Lederman (Ogilvy Brasil)
Planner: Mollie Hill (Ogilvy Brasil)
Head Of Digital: Daniel Tartaro (Ogilvy Brasil)
Project Manager: Wagner Gomes (Ogilvy Brasil)
UXD: Pablo Moura/Fred Celestino (Ogilvy Brasil)
Director: John X Carey (Paranoid Us)
Advertiser's Supervisor: Steve Miles/Fernando Machado/Kathleen Ryan/Stacie Bright/Debbie Weinstein (Unilever)
Producer: Phillip Owens/Keith Kenniff (Paranoid Us)
Innovation Director: Joel Pearson (PHD)
Color Grading: Sean Coleman (Company 3)
Editorial Grading: Paul Kumpata (Rock Paper Scissor)
Online: A52 Staff (A52)

Results and Effectiveness

With only 10 days and minimal paid media support, our women’s grapevine strategy spread real beauty conversation to billions:
3 billion media impressions (all original content)
Viewed more than any ad on Youtube in the whole of 2012
Featured on global mass media broadcast and newspapers
All leading to unprecedented levels of sharing and engagement:
Most shared link in mashable.com history
Responsible for more than 90% of video content shares within it's peer group category.
1.9 million aggregate shares on Facebook
Brand passion increased 1000%.
Parodies
Right now, some woman, somewhere, is watching this film and feeling better about herself.

Creative Execution

To spread the campaign to women around the world over we needed to use the most talkative, contagious, fast-moving, sharable medium out there: women themselves.
To harness the power of the woman to woman grapevine we needed 3 things: reach, conversation and amplification.
For reach, a global partnership with YouTube’s TrueView platform was optimized across 20 key regions, ensuring views across countries, maximized on efficiency and consumer engagement.
To ignite conversation, we uploaded the video to youtube and shared with Dove’s 14 million Facebook fans. Promoted tweets & trends were run on Twitter. While paid and owned posts made sure the video was seen and shared all over Facebook, resulting in 1 in 10 users seeing the video in their newsfeed.
And finally, highly targeted search cleaned up interest generated by the massive PR and outreach campaign.

Insights, Strategy and the Idea

The biggest barrier to women feeling beautiful is their own self-perception. Only 4% of women believe they’re beautiful. How could we inspire the other 96% to feel the same?
Our strategy was to conduct an experiment that would provoke women, and the world around them, to discuss, reconsider, and rethink real beauty and self-perception.
We invited an FBI-trained sketch artist to draw a women’s portrait according to their own self-description. We then asked him to sketch portraits of the same women according to strangers’ descriptions of them. Throughout, the artist never laid eyes on the women themselves.
To close we held an exhibition comparing the portraits. Women admitted that portraits based on the strangers’ description were more beautiful, happier and accurate.
The film provided striking proof that women are more beautiful than they think.