Dove Ambient REAL BEAUTY SKETCHES by Ogilvy Sao Paulo

Adsarchive » Ambient » Dove » REAL BEAUTY SKETCHES


Pin to Collection
Add a note
Industry Skin Care
Media Ambient
Market Brazil
Agency Ogilvy Sao Paulo
Director John X Carey
Executive Creative Director Roberto Fernandez, Paco Conde, Roberto Fernandez David
Art Director Diego Machado
Copywriter Hugo Veiga
Producer Phillip Owens, Veronica Beach, Libby Fine, Keith Kenniff, Renata Neumann David
Account Supervisor Deborah Lederman
Illustrator Gil Zamora
Released June 2013


Cannes Lions, 2014

Credits & Description

Type of entry: Best Use of Digital Direct Marketing
Category: Social Media & Viral Marketing
Advertiser: UNILEVER
Vice President/Creative Director: Anselmo Ramos (Ogilvy Brasil)
Executive Creative Director: Roberto Fernandez/Paco Conde (Ogilvy Brasil)
Copywriter: Hugo Veiga (Ogilvy Brasil)
Art Director: Diego Machado (Ogilvy Brasil)
Illustrator: Gil Zamora (Zamora Design)
Producer: Veronica Beach/Renata Neumann/Libby Fine (Ogilvy Brasil)
Account Director: Ricardo Honegger/Thiago Lima (Ogilvy Brasil)
Head Of Client Service: Valeria Barone (Ogilvy Brasil)
Account Supervisor: Deborah Lederman (Ogilvy Brasil)
Planner: Mollie Hill (Ogilvy Brasil)
Head Of Digital: Daniel Tartaro (Ogilvy Brasil)
Project Manager: Wagner Gomes (Ogilvy Brasil)
UDX: Pablo Moura/Fred Celestino (Ogilvy Brasil)
Director: John X Carey (Paranoid US)
Advertiser's Supervisor: Steve Miles/Fernando Machado/Kathleen Ryan/Stacie Bright/Debbie Weinstein (Unilever)
Producer: Phillip Owens/Keith Kenniff (Paranoid US)
Sound Mix: Sam Casas (Lime Studio)
Color Grading: Sean Coleman (Company 3)
Editorial Grading: Paul Kumpata (Rock Paper Scissor)
Online: A52 Staff (A52)
Describe the brief from the client
Only 4% of women believe they’re beautiful. The biggest barrier to women feeling beautiful is their own self-perception. Women are their own worst critics. To move the other 96% to believe in themselves, we needed to prove that they are wrong about their own self-image and reveal their real beauty.
Our strategy was to conduct a project that would reveal to women how they saw themselves and thus ignite a global conversation around women’s self-perception. The experiment sought to provoke women, and the world around them, to discuss, rethink and hopefully discover real beauty.

Creative Execution

The Dove Movement for self-esteem invites all women to join in creating a world where beauty is a source of confidence, not anxiety. To meet this ambition, Dove tackled the biggest barrier to women feeling beautiful: their own self-perception.
While most womens’ communications impose an image for women to follow, our experiment did the opposite. It asked women to confront their own self-image. It proved to women that they were wrong about their self-perception. It inspired women to recognize their real beauty.

Creative Solution to the Brief/Objective.

We created a social experiment: Real Beauty Sketches. We invited an FBI-trained sketch artist to draw a woman’s portrait according to her own self-description. We then asked him to sketch a portrait of the same woman according to a stranger’s description of her. Throughout the portraits the artist never laid eyes on the women themselves.
To close, we held an exhibition comparing the portraits. Women admitted that portraits based on the strangers’ descriptions were more beautiful, happier and accurate than the portraits based on their own description. We revealed to the world that women are more beautiful than they think.


With only 10 days:
• 3 Billion media impressions generated (all original stories)
• The Today show, Good Morning America, NBC news
• New York Times, The Guardian,, The Telegraph, Huffington Post, The Independent.
People didn’t just follow it, we provoked people to get involved:
• The most shared article in the history of
• Responsible for more than 90% of the video content shares.
All of which took the brand’s relationship with people to new heights:
- 14,368% increase in daily rate of tweets about the brand
- 4.3 million clicks through to the Dove site