Projecting Pollution by Conill Advertising Los Angeles for Toyota

Adsarchive » Digital , Case study » Toyota » Projecting Pollution

Projecting Pollution

Pin to Collection
Add a note
Industry Cars
Media Digital, Interactive & Mobile, Case study
Market United States
Agency Conill Advertising Los Angeles
Art Director Verónica Elizondo
Account Supervisor Christine Jahina
Released September 2011

Awards

One Show 2012
One Show Entertainment Events and Installations Merit

Credits & Description

Category: Cars & Automotive Services
Advertiser: TOYOTA MOTOR SALES, USA
Product/Service: TOYOTA PRIUS V
Agency: CONILL SAATCHI & SAATCHI
Senior Vice President/Chief Creative Officer: Pablo Buffagni (Conill Saatchi & Saatchi)
Vice President/Creative Director: Mario Granatur (Conill Saatchi & Saatchi)
Group Creative Director: Verónica Elizondo (Conill Saatchi & Saatchi)
Senior Copywriter: Jessica Cuevas (Conill Saatchi & Saatchi)
Art Director: Verónica Elizondo (Conill Saatchi & Saatchi)
Director Of Production Services: Lourdes Caballero (Conill Saatchi & Saatchi)
President: Carlos Martínez (Conill Saatchi & Saatchi)
Executive Vice President/Managing Director: Ana Rodríguez (Conill Saatchi & Saatchi)
Director Of Client Services: Cilmara Santos (Conill Saatchi & Saatchi)
Account Director: Anabel Ordoñez (Conill Saatchi & Saatchi)
Account Supervisor: Christine Jahina (Conill Saatchi & Saatchi)
Senior Vice President/Chief Media Communications Officer: Brett Dennis (Conill Saatchi & Saatchi)
Vice President/Media Director: Rob Spallone (Conill Saatchi & Saatchi)
Account Director - Events And Promotions: Elizabeth Sanchez (Conill Saatchi & Saatchi)
Account Executive - Events And Promotions: Mauricio Macías (Conill Saatchi & Saatchi)
Post Supervisor: Eduardo Garcia (Makine)
3D Animator: Chaz Waters/Jorge Vasquez (Makine)
Direction/Editorial: Francisco Pugliese/Pascui Rivas (D'Avant-Garde Media)
National Manager/Targeted Advertising/Strategy: David Chung (Toyota Motor Sales)
National Engagement Marketing Manager: Steve Appelbaum (Toyota Motor Sales)
Media placement: Drive-in theaters / video screening before movie. - Van Buren Drive-In Theater, LA. - 6 April 2012

Insights, Strategy & the Idea
Most Latinos focus only on one type of green, the amount of money they can save at the gas station. They believe that the environmental benefits of hybrid vehicles are too intangible, abstract and do not immediately impact their lives.
So the big challenge was how to make them aware of the new Toyota Prius v low emissions, opening their eyes to a world that is rapidly changing.
We needed to find an original way to make our target start thinking about the environment by showing how hybrids can improve their day-to-day living.
We knew that if we showed them the problem, we would get the reaction we wanted.

Creative Execution
We decided to target a city with one of the largest Hispanic population, and also one of the most polluted: Los Angeles.
We looked for venues with a big screen, a projector, and most importantly, a high concentration of cars: Drive-in theatres.
Everybody knows that any object that crosses the path of the projector's bright light produces a shadow on the screen. We played with this and projected particles floating in the air before the movie started, making people realize how much their cars contribute to the pollution problem.
We made the invisible, visible.
And we tied it back to our product with a message that appeared on the screen reading: “66% less smog-forming emissions. Prius v”.

Results and Effectiveness
By using the medium in an innovative way, the message really resonated with the audience.
Prior to our initiative, 41% of the attendees claimed they would consider the new Prius v as their next vehicle purchase, while the remaining 59% said they would not consider it or were neutral. Afterwards, consideration increased by 95%, with a whopping 80% claiming they would consider Prius v as their next vehicle.